Monday 26 October 2009

Random posting

Well, as the title suggests, here's a very random posting. Sorry, but it's like life, some good and some not so good postings. (At least I didn't say "laf is lak a box of chocolates.....")

Anyways - I was really exited to have borrowed a DVD movie (to watch on my computer) that I could actually watch in English - and not have the monotone male voice doing dubbing into Russian for both the male & female parts!

So, I decided to give "Twighlight" a try. Yes - the sighs are heard around the world! Well, of course I've heard the hype but have not yet seen the movies or read the books. Having a open mind (I'm here in Tajikistan, after all), I thought I'd give it a try. Uh Hum. It's like Rory Gilmore (from Gilmore Girls) does Vampires - with BAD acting. Yikes! And, mind you - I like the Gilmore Girls!!! :) But it did remind me that for us 'older viewers' (ie have gone through puberty) "Moonlight" is much more realistic, better acting (and much better eye-candy) . Too bad that was canelled.

So, honestly, if anyone has read the books (I haven't) - are the books better than the movies? (The books are all the *rage* here). Is there a movie per book? What's the attraction here?

Meanwhile, the views of Washington State (or is it Oregon) are gorgeous - after almost 2 months in Dushanbe my body has almost a viscerally postive reaction to all the wet weather and leafy vegation. (And it looks like a really neat place, too!!)

Okay, time to get back to the movie. Since there are several more books, I don't think I need to be terribly worried about the immediate survival of the heroine or hero at this point! :)

And, certainly if anyone reading absolutely loves these books & movies - I hope I didn't offend...but do yourself a favor and read the original B.Stoker "Dracula" or at least watch some vintage vampire movies! :)

Please note the following disclaimer: "This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the INL Fellow's own and do not represent the International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs Program or the U.S. Department of State".

4 comments:

  1. I'll confess that I read 3 of the 4, but I have not seen the movie. The books were a lot like eating greasy, salty chips...anyway: vampires are very hard to kill, so no worries about them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot that you had a Radu/Ray McNally background from BC! Actually, if you want to see a good vampire movie, get your hands on a Swedish film called "Let the Right One In."

    As for Twilight, the best commentary to be found is my own daughter's. Last year, she insisted on having her birthday party be a Twilight viewing. This year, she is only grudgingly going with her mother to see New Moon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl - I like that metaphor, and could read it many diff't ways....do you mean greasy/salty chips in a good or bad way? Or the sense that they're yummy while you're eating them, but once they're gone your a bit embarassed and can't wait to get the slime&smell off your fingers?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul - yes, after the Radu/McNally expreience, nothing else comes close. I imagine they knew Vlad Tepecs better than he knew himself! I forget - did you study iwth them, too? I think I remember going to one of their evening presentations (right after FFCoppola's movie came out) with you or Christoper....

    Thanks for the movie tip. There's another good one - but I can't think of the name right now...the title was a famale name - Nadia?

    ReplyDelete