Monday 19 October 2009

Teaching experiences

Many of you have asked for more detail on my experiences teaching.....



So here goes...!



I am here to provide teacher training (ie teach the teachers) both in English language skills and in contemporary/communicative teaching methods/methodology.



Based on my statement of work (as well as the source of my funding), I am working with English language teachers in the the Law Enforcement Community here in Dushanbe. I've come to find that "Law Enforcement" has a slightly different meaning here....I'm not necessarily working with the police on the streets. Instead, my class includes English language teachers from the Academy of the Ministry of Interior (MVD), the Ministry of State Security (I've seen it as both SCNS and KNB - recently changed from KGB (yes)) and translators/interpreters from the Drug Control Agency (DCA). I am working with these teacher on their English language skills and to give them examples/practice with using communicative/student-centered activities in their language classrooms.



It's a different group than I've worked with before, and is a great and exciting new opportunity.

Feel free to email me and I'll be happy to share more of my experiences!

Please note the following disclaimer: "This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the INL Fellow's own and do not represent the International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs Program or the U.S. Department of State".

2 comments:

  1. Suzanne: I've just become your newest follower. I've been enjoying your blog and Facebook notes (via James) but finally got registered so I can post comments.

    I'm impressed by how much you're doing with the Hashes. (I realize this comment should go with one of your earlier posts but hey, I'm a novice at this!) I think it's great you're increasingly connecting with your students too.

    Your photos do convey the remoteness, dustiness and otherworldness of Tajikistan, certainly better than any of my many books on Central Asia.

    I've had a similar experience of being told a hike would be easy, only to discover that it's virtually a Forced Death March!

    I hope you got the photos and emails we sent you last weekend. It may be hit or miss due to power outages.

    I'll post more comments soon. We all miss you and will be thinking of you at this Sunday's Congregational Meeting and church potluck brunch at Clarendon Presbyterian Church.

    Love,
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have an interesting group of students. Keep the blogs coming so that I might continue to live vicariously through you. :) My excitement for the week was that Scott was in France and I was a "single" parent. No hikes in the mountains or classes with "security" personnel.

    ReplyDelete